A quick journey through time will give you a good vision of Isla Mujeres´ rich and long history.
The first news about Isla Mujeres date back to 564-1516 A.D. when it was a mayan province, Ekab, one of the four provinces or Mayan territories that formed what is today the State of Quintana Roo.
At that time, Isla Mujeres was not a human settlement, it was a sanctuary to Ixchel (goddess of weaving, happiness, the moon, abundance and medicine, among others). From March 1st to 4th, 1517, a Spanish expedition under Francisco Fernández de Córdoba´s leadership, discovered the island and found a sanctuary with a representation of Ixchel and a court of women, hence the name Isla Mujeres it was given.
By 1850, more than 250 fishermen, pirates and mayas running away from the cruel War of Castes, established themselves in the village of Dolores, on Isla Mujeres.
The construction of Fermin Mundaca y Marecheaga´s Hacienda Vista Alegre, was a milestone in the history of Isla Mujeres, since it covered 40% of the total surface of the island, and controlled agriculture and cattle raising.
At the end of the nineteenth century, Isla Mujeres had a population of 651 inhabitants in a defined urban area. The marine landscape, with its numerous birds, sailboats and fishermen made up a beautiful scenery.
Al finalizar el siglo XIX, Isla Mujeres era una población de 651 habitantes con un área urbana definida, donde el paisaje marino con su multitud de aves, botes de vela y el trajinar de pescadores conformaban un paisaje pintoresco, digno de la mejor acuarela.